Sunday, February 8, 2009

Living life a little more Bavarian each day...

Sunday, January 8th 2009

So, it’s a couple days later, and unfortunately I am not going to have pictures for you until tomorrow. The battery ran out in my camera and I wasn’t able to upload it to my computer.

Anyhow, we have been having some great times! Two nights ago we went and had a REAL Bavarian time. We went to the Drei Mohren for dinner. Interesting place, because the name means Three Moors, but the food is very authentic Bavarian food. Chris couldn’t stop talking about how amazing the food was there, especially his schnitzel. Afterwards, we went to an old school Bavarian bar. The place was full of locals, and we were the only tourists there. It was what you picture in your mind when you think of Germany. People sitting at long tables drinking lots of beer, an old Bavarian man playing traditional songs on an accordion at the front of the bar and everybody was singing along.

OK, Chris here. Yesterday we went to a small town right on the Austrian border. There couldn’t have been more than 1,000 people living in the town. As soon as you get off the train, you are immediately met by a very imposing yet scenic mountain range. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a town so close such a large mountain. We walked to Nicole’s aunt and uncle’s house. Very kind and gracious people. Unfortunately, I didn’t understand a word that was spoken. They speak in a very thick Bavarian accent that only loosely resembles any of the German that I’ve been studying. Their house is the house that Nicole’s grandma was born in. It’s amazing to see how many old buildings are still standing here. One of them was built in 1485. Stunning. From their house we walked to Nicole’s grandma and grandpa’s gravesite. Kind of an emotional thing for Nicole, who wasn’t able to see them for about 2 years before they passed. Kind of an emotional thing for me as well, because I’ve heard such wonderful things about these people and would have loved to have met them. Staying in their house makes me even that much more appreciative. I have quite a few pictures from this town on my phone, and will try to post them soon.

We came home after about 5 hours and I was extraordinarily tired. I took a nap while Nicole cooked an amazing Spatzle dinner. I woke up, we had dinner, and walked to a hotel/bar/restaurant down the street. Nicole’s mom went to high school with the owner of the place, so we thought we would stop by and introduce ourselves. We had hoped to see some more live Bavarian music, but the music had stopped by 10pm We did however, get a wonderful opportunity to meet Mr. Hansmartel BowDrexler. I love the fact part of his last name is Drexler. After we left, we went to the bar we were at the previous night (Fraundorfer) and a similar, wonderful time. We had a nightcap at an Irish pub close to our house. It was full of American tourists, which is a bit annoying to me. I didn’t come to Germany to associate with such people. It was fun nevertheless. We danced on tables and had a good time. When people tried to speak to me in English, I spoke back to them in Spanish and told them I was from Spain. I can’t believe how well it worked! I eventually had the entire place convinced I was Catalan. Wonderful.

Got back to the house around 3am, and went straight to bed. Woke up to a very heavy snow storm which is beautiful. Should make for some good skiing tomorrow. We are headed off to the swimming pool right now! Aufwiedersehn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dang...sounds like an adventure.
have fun!